Sleep Dentistry involves the use of intravenous medication administered and supervised by a specialist anesthetist. A combination of sedative and pain relieving medication help create a drowsy and dream-like state of relaxation for the duration of your procedure. Sleep dentistry allows your dentist to care for you at their clinic, and is safer than undergoing a full general anesthetic. Most people remember very little of their dental procedure.
Sleep Dentistry is especially useful for patients who:
- Have significant anxiety about dental procedures.
- Have had traumatic dental experiences in the past.
- Are undergoing painful complex treatment/surgery.
- Are highly anxious of needles, noises and/or smells associated with their procedures.
During Your Procedure:
You will be attached to monitoring, which will assess your pulse, blood pressure, oxygen level and breathing. You will also have a small cannula inserted in your hand/arm. You will then be covered with your blanket, and will drift off into a very relaxed state, as the sedative medication takes effect.
This dream-like state is in between being awake and being asleep, and you will find it warm, pleasant and very calming.
The medication will be given in small doses throughout your procedure to ensure that you remain in this relaxed and sleepy state until your procedure has finished.
What We Ensure:
- A competitive and cost-effective service.
- Patient suitability for day case care.
- Patients are managed following national guidelines.
Comprehensive patient monitoring:
(ECG, BP, SpO2, pulse, respiration, ETCO2).
- Attendance by a specialist anesthetist throughout procedures.
- The provision of oxygen during procedures.
- Availability of emergency drugs and equipment.