Have you been deferring your dental visit? Have you had a bad experience in the past that has put you off seeing a dentist? Are you unsure of what to expect when you come in? Rest assured you are not on your own!
Here we’ll give you some tips on how to overcome those fears and anxieties.
- Talk to your dental teams about your specific fears in advance when booking the appointment. This way they are ready and prepared to make this visit as seamless as possible when you arrive. Be it with a glass of water or your favourite music or TV show playing.
- Remember that dental technology has evolved and many procedures are much easier and virtually painless. Use of numbing gels, laser and lighter drills all make it easier to get through the procedure.
- Establish control prior to the procedure so the dentist knows how you feel. E.g. hand up to stop for a break or if uncomfortable.
- Distraction – many of our patients enjoy having a tv show, relaxing imagery or music videos to watch overhead on the tv screen. Bring in earphones so you can listen to music or a podcast. Ask for stress balls to hold and squeeze during the procedure
- Deep breathing and meditation (before or during) the appointment can have a calming effect.
- If you like knowing what’s being done ask the dentist to explain each step to you and talk to you throughout the procedure so you know what to expect. Some people, on the other hand, prefer not to know at all and to just be told when it’s all over – make sure your dentist knows your preference.
- Pre-medication – Penthrox (green whistle) has a similar effect to laughing gas to relax you. Ensure you’re sufficiently numbed up (whether with gel or injections as appropriate) so there is no pain. Some patients may consult with their GP regarding taking a Valium or a similar anxiolytic prior to the appointment.
- Prevention is better than cure – remember that a 20-minute checkup and clean every 6 months (and good oral care at home) is easier than a 2-hour root canal or an extraction!
- So get onto it now, jump online or call us on 95316387 to book your next appointment!